Patient Demographics

The University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center Cancer Registry provides a full range of oncology data services for our nationally recognized American College of Surgeons (ACoS)-approved clinical cancer program. Since the 1920s, the Registry has collected, maintained, and reported detailed information for patients diagnosed with, and treated for, cancer or benign central nervous system neoplasms. A dedicated team of data management specialists ensures that records are maintained for patients at both the University of Chicago Medicine and the newly opened University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital.

The Cancer Registry provides important data services to advance basic, translational, and clinical research at the Comprehensive Cancer Center. All data collected by the Registry can be accessed via an electronic data repository, known as the Clinical Research Data Warehouse (CRDW). Researchers and clinical staff who request access to this resource are provided data in a safe, managed method that is compliant with HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules. Registry data are essential for not only advancing research to improve patient care, but also for cancer program development, community outreach activities, and decision-making in oncology and public healthcare policies.

2015 UCM Cancer Data
  • Cancer Incidence by Type

    In 2015, 4,327 patients were diagnosed and/or treated at the University of Chicago Medicine for a malignancy or benign central nervous system neoplasm (See Table 1). Of these, the majority of patients (3,541, 82%) were newly diagnosed, and the remaining (786, 18%) had recurrent or progressive disease. The most frequently seen cancers were of the digestive system.

  • Patient Demographics

    More than half of all patients (2,327, 53.8%) were diagnosed between the ages of 50 and 69 years. Distribution by race shows that our patient population is predominately white (2,839 patients, 66.3%), followed by African American (1,066 patients, 24.6%), and Hispanic (232 patients, 5.4%). These trends are similar to those seen in recent years.

  • Patient Geographics

    The majority of patients (3,452, 79.8%) seen in 2015 were Illinois residents. Nearly 20% (849 patients) of the total number of patients first seen in 2015 lived in other states, primarily in the neighboring states of Indiana (619, 72.9%), Michigan (68, 8%) and Wisconsin (52, 6.1%).

    We also served 25 international patients from countries including Venezuela, China, Columbia, Italy, Canada, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates, to name a few.

Primary Site Newly Diagnosed Recurrent and/or Progressive Disease Grand Total % of Total Cases
Digestive System 641 116 757 17.5
Male Genital System 513 95 608 14
Breast 450 73 523 12
Urinary System 343 91 434 10
Respiratory System 345 64 409 9.5
Female Genital System 216 60 276 6.4
Oral Cavity/Pharynx/Larynx 190 36 226 5.2
Endocrine System* 154 30 184 4.3
Lymphoma 132 47 179 4.1
Leukemia 142 33 175 4
Brain & Other Nervous Systems** 112 26 138 3.2
Skin 90 26 116 2.7
Myeloma 75 27 102 2.4
Mesothelioma 38 32 70 1.6
Soft Tissue 32 6 38 1.3
Bones & Joints 8 4 12 0.9
Eye & Orbit 1 6 7 0.3
Kaposi Sarcoma 3 1 4 0.3
Miscellaneous*** 10 2 12 0.2
Other Heme/MDS/Lymphoproliferative Disorders 46 11 57 0.1
Grand Total 3541 786 4327 100

*Includes benign pituitary adenomas
**Includes benign neoplasms
***Includes cancers of unspecified origins

Top